Tuesday, November 22, 2005

8mm ; Hi8 ; Digital 8; Analog to Digital Answers

I've been going round and round trying to figure out how to get some of our old 8mm tapes imported into Imovie. They were recorded with a Sony HandyCam CCD TRV67 model. Hi 8 doesn't mean digital. Remember that.

Finally I found multiple answers to multiple questions here

Nobody would want to buy a new Digital 8, I didn't think, because MiniDV is the way to go. But I needed to buy one in this case simply to read all the old 8mm and Hi8 tapes, in order to import them digitally. Imovie needs digital you see; it needs ye old firewire or "Ilink" connection. 6 pin to 4 pin connection. Useless knowledge, ..I've got it.

So I go buy a Sony DCR-TRV280, and I also buy an external hard drive to store all my imported video.

Come to find out though, ..and this is important: Not All Digital8 Camcorders will read your old 8mm and Hi 8 tapes. Stop here. Read that sentence again. It will keep you from having to go back to the store to return your useless camcorder, ...that you were going to have to return anyway after you got done importing your video because you wouldn't need it anymore, right?

Anyway, this is a good post that helped me out. I thought I might pass it along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home